Friday, April 15, 2011

Chris in Boston, Day 1

Today, Chris and I enjoyed a leisurely day at Apple Tree Cottage.


  • We slept in, he longer than me with the time difference.
  • I took the liberty to read on the porch this morning next to my cute little herbs growing in their starter kits.  They're turning up quite nicely I think.  Soon I'll have to figure out a better way to plant them, because it's already getting a bit crowded.
  • After a while, I decided it might be nice to have fresh muffins for breakfast.  I decided to try the homemade oatmeal muffins from the cook book Mom bought me.  I use that thing all the time, and I love it!  Chris woke up and came downstairs to the kitchen right after I put the muffins in the oven, so we chatted for a bit while the muffins finished baking.  Once done, I couldn't help myself but dive in.  They were okay...seriously not that bad, but not my favorite either.  
  • Enough time inside with a sunny day beyond the porch windows demanded a walk.  I though a trip to Ocean Lawn would be nice and rewarding, but when we packed up and walked over there, the chain with the "Closed" sign was still up.  :(  So sad.  On the account that it was significantly colder than I thought it would be, we turned back to head to the house.
  • Next, we sat down for a little lunch snack and decided the dinner menu.  
  • Food menu for the week:
    • Fish sticks and steak fries
    • Pot roast and potatoes
    • Homemade lasagna (for tonight)
    • Chips and candy (for snacking) (Constant Vigilance!)
    • Iced tea and Marinelli's Apple Cider
  • One of the best surprises at the store is that Chris picked out a Mum plant for me!  It has white, purple, and yellow mums.  They are a combination gift from him and Mom.  I love them!  They're currently sitting on the dining room table waiting for me to take pictures of them.
  • The return home led to beginning the lasagna.  Chris was in charge of the Italian sweet sausage, which were practically perfect. :D  We also opened the bags of chips: Mesquite Kettle Chips and Ruffles hot wings.  The Ruffles were excellent.
  • Settlers of Catan
    • I had mentioned playing all day, but he was the one to suggest it after the groceries were all put away.  
    • He caught on to the game play REALLY fast.  Not fair.  But he's naturally good at these types of games, so I wasn't surprised.
    • Game 1: Chris
    • Game 2: Katie
    • Game 3 to be scheduled soon.
  • Lasagna
    • Perfetto!
    • We each had these huge pieces.  I eat really fast; Chris even commented...
  • Tangled
    • A nice transition to a quiet relaxing day.  We brought down the air mattress to the dining room and watched the movie next to the heater.
    • Munched on Sour Patch Jelly Beans
    • I actually allowed myself to laugh out loud and commentate on the movie.  Some parts I really enjoyed, but others were distinguishably cheesy.  I couldn't help but point those out.
  • Nearing the end of the day, and my next task is to create an account of http://www.playr.org/.


Another day gone, and well spent.

It has been so nice having Chris around because of all of the little unspokens.  These include minute habits and reactions and ways of thinking that we both share because we grew up together.  I don't have to think about having to explain why I do certain things that I do because he does them too, for mostly the same reasons.  There's this sense of commonality that I have really missed being away from my family.  I know I am loved by my community here in Massachusetts, but I am truly thankful for the little love reminders and time spent with my family.

No comments: