Tuesday, July 23, 2013

A Specialist

I've mostly considered myself a jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type person considering all of my passions and hobbies: volleyball, crafts, puzzles, music, education, reading, games, knot-tying, fishing, golf, cooking and baking, shopping, slightly-piqued interest in fashion and beauty...but I am beginning to realize how essential music is a part of my life. Over the first half of the summer I have been working with children in various camp activities, such as nature, arts and crafts, recreation games, devotion time in the evening, etc. In most all of these activities I love being and flourish, which really is making my camp counselor experience terribly rewarding and exhausting all at the same time. That said, one special week there was an emphasis on music and fine arts. Now, in addition to the regular activities listed above, the campers and I also partook in various music ensembles, theory classes, other music/arts activities. I was preparing theory lessons with Popsicle sticks, memorizing music, rehearsing, and on the last day with performances I found myself tearing up and so proud of the girls in my cabin. Watching them sing and share the skills they had been working on all week was such a beautiful sight! It was at this point that I was affirmed in comparison to all of the other regular camp weeks that I am a specialist. In music. Music education. Vocal/Choral music education.

I love what I study, and want to pursue the field and beauty of music through creating, dedication, skill-building, and unity over the rest of my life. This does not necessarily bound me to a classroom, but I know that these skills may translate into many other areas of life. This field energizes me and encourages me whether practicing by myself, or rehearsing in large ensembles. Often I find myself stumbling over my own words in conversation with colleagues and friends, but in the music education setting, bubbles of thoughts, ideas, and connections flow out of my mouth. Praise God for all of my gifts, but I am especially thankful for the ability to learn and share music with those around me. I am learning how God has gifted me with ears to hear, and a desire to learn to continue to anchor this skill in music.


For more pictures, check out the Camp Wonderland website: http://69.195.124.65/~campwond/.




Psalm 149: 1-4

*Praise the Lord!
Sing to the Lord a new song,
And His praise in the congregation of the godly ones.
*Let Israel be glad in his Maker;
Let the sons of Zion rejoice in their King.
*Let them praise His name with dancing;
Let them sing praises to Him with timbrel and lyre.
*For the Lord takes pleasure in His people;
He will beautify the afflicted ones with salvation.

No comments: