Wednesday, May 21, 2008

The Patriot

I always cry when the father (Mel Gibson) is leaving from the African American "hiding place" and is practically pleading for his youngest daughter Susan to speak to him. She doesn't say anything. After Mel Gibson is seated on his horse and about to return to the militia, Susan runs from her aunt Charolette's side yelling "Papa, I'll say anything, just tell me what to say. I'll say anything!" As Susan is running to her father with tears streaming down her baby doll cheeks, he leaps off of his horse to greet his daughter with love and open arms.
This scene means so much to me for many reasons. It shows the love between a father and his daughter. Susan tried to hide her love for her father by hating him and shoving him out of her life. But at this moment, she couldn't let her true love and need for her father sit on the side with the fear that she may never see her father again. She is crying out Papa, don't leave me. I need you. Don't abandon me. Mama already died and I don't know how to survive if you leave me too. This relationship between father and daughter can also be applied to many other types of relationships.
So often, we as human beings hurt inside and try to stuff our feelings, ignore them, or build brick walls around our hearts. In reality, our life on Earth is limited and we need to embrace the good relationships that we have and tell those around us how much we value their friendship, companionship, and relationship. A life without love is a life not worth living.

<3

No comments: