Friday, May 27, 2011

Transition and Efficiency

So yesterday was definitely a day of getting things done. Here was my Facebook status:


Out-of-state license transfer, Psych book, car wash, bed and futon loading with Megan Mitchell and Greg Lowther, work, belated birthday dinner with Mackenzie Peters, impromptu evening hangout with Mitchell, Lowther, and Stephen Dagley, a bedframe and desk in my room, completion of Harry Potter Book 6, and prepping for insurance and rmv tomorrow...Oh yeah.


Today followed with getting my car and renter's insurance taken care of and my new MA license plates for my car.  I just need a state inspection done in the next week and my car is all set for the year (and for now...).


Some of the bigger tasks, like all of the car stuff, has been weighing me down for about a month.  Part of that was because the car issues were completely new learning experiences when I, the adult, would have to assume major responsibilities.  I wanted to prolong (some say procrastinate) taking on those challenges for as long as possible.  Other reasons were/are more sentimental like, I'm going to have to submit my CA license and won't get it back...or I won't be on my parents' insurance anymore, am I really taking that next step of separation from them?  I don't know if I can handle that...  


Going through the car responsibilities was definitely a time of growth and transition for me, even if they were common, every day chores.  I was so lucky to have met with kind, helpful people at the RMV and AAA stations, and my friends and family have been supportive in helping me in whatever way I ask.


*******


In completing the car tasks, as well as other activities (some of which are listed above), I definitely had this sense of efficiency.  Evie commented, "Yeah, I notice that whenever you say, 'I've been efficient," you're usually in a better mood."  I affirmed her in saying that it's true, and progressed thinking aloud...
"I think that's because whenever I get things done, I know that I am being a responsible person, but also because I know that I have less to do.  So it's not just about getting things done, but also that with less to do I have less reason to be stressed.  I think I subconsciously have known this about myself, and that's why I'm so big on being 'Efficient.'"
To me, that makes complete sense.  I've also noticed this year that I am really into visualizing what a circumstance will be like before it happens, mostly because it's my subconscious way of protection from being overly anxious.  I do this to prepare myself to handle social situations, or getting things done on time, etc.


Although I feel like this part of the entry is a bit fuzzy in message, the underlying idea is that I don't like to be stressed or anxious. I'm glad to be learning about myself this year and why my defense mechanisms turn on to help me.  I've been very fortunate during the past week to be surrounded by caring people to help me when the self-defenses do not always kick in when I need them.


Enough, here's to life transitions and efficiency!

1 comment:

Monica said...

I admire your efficiency! Seriously, ever since you helped me out with my wedding, I make lists all the time to help me actually see what I have to do :) Totally helps me out and at least eases my stress.

Well, I'm glad you have such good family and friends to help you through the big changes in life! I miss you and I'm glad to hear you're doing well! <3