Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Yesterday, with time to spare

Memorial Day came with no jumping to do list.  I was able to enjoy the day at my leisure and celebrate the significance of the holiday without excessive stresses and tasks.  In the morning I decided to weed the garden.  Yes, I chose to weed.  Weeding has been something I have been itching to do since we moved into our new apartment, and the day lended itself to that.  From around 10am to noon, lathered in sunscreen and under my wide-brimmed straw hat, I sat, knelt, and got quite dirty trying to deroot nasty-big dandelions from about 1sq yard of land.  Some of the holes I had to dig to get to the bottom of some of those roots were quite deep, well I think so.  I also came across many friendly dirt-creatures, like Rollie Pollies, Earthworms, Ants, and Little-Orange-Beetle-Looking bugs (which I had never seen before).  Quite pleased with myself, and relaxed after a quiet activity outside and in my own little world, I went upstairs to the apartment to shower and get ready for whatever would come next.

At this point Megan and I talked about trying to escape the heat during the afternoon and head to the mall.  That was the next big activity.  Meg wanted to get a few things from Lush, an English soap store, and other than that we window shopped at H&M.  I think that the significance of this trip was mainly the fact that we both had the time to GO to the mall.  Rarely will Meg and I treat ourselves to such an outing independently, so for us to go together was a huge treat!

Our evening hours were spent enjoying a delicious steak and corn dinner with Megan and my good friends Chris and Mackenzie Peters, and we even brought homemade strawberry shortcake!  Our friends just moved into their new apartment and they have a great deck where the grill is set up and we enjoyed looking out into the surrounding trees and watched the sun set while we ate.  When the mosquitoes decided to come out, we moved inside with time for continued partying with more friends, Greg and Steve, and the time spent consisted of looking at pictures, good conversation about the London Tower, and eating dessert.  We also said, "Bon Voyage" to G&S who are leaving for Europe on Wednesday for a backpacking trip through England, Germany, Italy, and Switzerland.  The summer is here, and I'm so glad to be surrounded by friends who love me.

No comments: