It's amazing how our pets can offer so much comfort. They are only animals, but there's something about that soft fur, wet nose, and loving eyes that can bring so much peace.
I was sitting with Duke today. Within the past month he has become much more needy and loving with me. He'll come up to me and lean his head against my legs, just wanting to be close. Before I sat down, he was licking his front leg, probably where the arthritis is bothering him.
At first I was just petting him, trying to get him to calm down before going to sleep. Then he sat closer to me, letting me stroke his fur. I admit, he smells. Probably because he hasn't been bathed in a while because of the weather. He also hates the water, and it hasn't been worth it for us to battle him into the tub. Well, I was petting him, he let me lean my head on his neck.
It was nice to just sit with him, to just sit with him and think about this past year and all of the hospital visits, lost friendships, moments in my life when I became more of an adult than I had expected. As I was thinking, I realized that the petting had turned into me holding Duke close. I could tell that he could sense my pain and need for his support. He could sense that I could have burst into tears and cried, right then on the ugly brown carpet on our floor, sitting next to a smelly dirty dog, while my face was buried in his fur slightly rocking my body. He didn't mind. I didn't cry. He just sat there letting me lean on him, being strong for me, with me, despite his hurting legs supporting his weight and mine.
Duke is continually showing signs of his age to me and my family. I love my dog.
No comments:
Post a Comment